The government has been introducing clean air zones in some of the most polluted cities across the UK in the last few years, in an effort to improve air quality and protect public health. The clean air zones are a targeted action to cut down on high levels of harmful greenhouse gases, like carbon and nitrogen dioxide emissions which could potentially lead to long-term health risks, particularly among commuters and city-centre workers.
Following in the footsteps of other successful clean air zone schemes – including those in London, Edinburgh, Bristol and Oxford – Newcastle has recently become the latest city in the UK to instigate a clean air zone with the aim of combatting air pollution.
From 30th January this year, drivers of non-compliant vehicles will be charged a daily rate to enter Newcastle city centre, Gateshead and routes over the Tyne, Swing, High Level and Redheugh bridges.
Here at Airdri, we believe that indoor air quality is also of vital importance for health and wellbeing, especially in the workplace.
Some workplaces can be a hotbed for bacteria as they house hundreds of people, touching the same surfaces and breathing the same, stagnant air day in, day out.
Current ventilation and air cleaning standards were designed for comfort, controlling temperature, pollutants and masking odours. They are not fit for purpose when it comes to preventing airborne infectious disease transmission.
Our SteraSpace range effectively removes viruses, bacteria, mould, fungi and odours by combining three technologies to emit a stream of disinfecting plasma into the air. When used in an office environment and independently tested, the units were found to reduce bacteria and pathogens by 78%.
How does it work?
The units combine Photo Catalytic Oxidation (PCO), Germicidal Irradiation and Dual Waveband UV technology to create the most advanced virus and bacteria control technology of its kind. This offers a unique and highly effective way to eliminate bacteria, mould, fungi, viruses, dust mites, allergens, and harmful VOCs to result in clean, healthy air and surfaces.
By combining these three advanced technologies a continuous flow of disinfecting plasma is released into the air which eliminates 98.11% of airborne and 99.6% of surface micro-organisms and it works in under 60 minutes.
Able to service areas up to 80m2, the SteraSpace range is suitable for varying environments, from washrooms to offices, medical practices, schools, warehouses, factories and care homes. Depending on the size of the room, the cost of purchasing an air sanitisation unit starts at around £250.
The units cost in the region of just £2 per month to run, after the initial installation cost, with an annual outlay of around £50 for a new bulb.
Benefits of SteraSpace technology at a glance
- Effectively removes viruses, bacteria, mould, fungi & odours
- Creates a hostile environment to prevent growth of mould and fungi
- Cleans deep into fabrics, prolongs life of carpets and soft furnishings
- Eliminates need for masking agents
- Can help to reduce staff absenteeism and agency costs
- Improves environment for residents, staff and visitors
We’re extremely proud of both the effectiveness of the product, but also how the technology can be used in alternative ways for niche or more demanding spaces. For example, we helped Tower Hamlets eliminate unpleasant odours in waste disposal areas, which was pretty unpleasant for residents.
The SteraSpace range of products provide 24/7/365 protection in any indoor area including eating areas, toilets, sluice rooms, bedrooms, communal areas and reception areas. The technology is safe and effective and is currently used by NHS, Ambulance services, schools, doctors, dentists, hairdressers, restaurants, hotels and many others.
Unlike other routes to infection control, such as chemical fogging, SteraSpace can be used continuously in the background creating cleaner, fresher air throughout the day. Once installed it is extremely affordable with very low energy consumption. It really is one of the best ways that businesses can ensure the safety and assurance of their workforce.
About SteraSpace Air Cleaning Technology
- SteraSpace has been tested at Porton Down and is proven to kill 98.11% of airborne and 99.6% of surface micro-organisms and by the Health Protection Agency where the efficacy results showed that within five minutes, 96-98% of airborne viruses were eliminated
- A case study using this technology in an NHS call centre revealed a 42% reduction in absenteeism
- Specific issues that saw a marked reduction were asthma, colds, coughs, influenza, chest/respiratory and gastrointestinal illness
- Considering the reduced cost of overtime sickness cover, it’s estimated this was a saving to the business of over £200,000 over the three months
- When independently tested in an office environment at the headquarters of Service Electrical Distributors Ltd there was found to be a 78% reduction in bacteria after only two weeks of operating the SteraSpace unit